Monday, May 17, 2010

Conference Finals, Game(s) 1

So the Sharks-Hawks game was very entertaining and fast-paced. Niemi continues to impress me with his play, and after the first period I thought the Sharks were going to dominate this game. Thankfully I was wrong. As for the Habs-Philly game...well, we all know what happened there. They looked a lot like the Pens did in game 7. They couldn't make good plays for shit, and the unstoppable Halak wasn't quite so unstoppable after all. Watching the Habs in that game makes you think, "Man, THAT is the team that knocked us out of the playoffs?". I think they need to step up the physicality of their game if they expect to come out of this series alive. Their small size isn't helping...they look like a bunch of midgets compared to Philly. I'm still sticking with my predictions...we'll see if I'm right.

On another note, I've been having problems posting comments on people's blogs. I can post on my own, just not anyone else's, so if anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know. Also, can anyone tell me what the roman numerals mean in UFA IV? I can't find any info on this anywhere. Thanks!

5 comments:

Ann said...

I don't know what UFA stands for, but the roman numerals IV means 4.
I = 1 L= 50
V = 5 C=100
X = 10 D=500 M=1000
an I on the left side of V means take away 1. IV = 4
an I on the right side of V means add 1. VI=6
I=1 II=2 III=3 IV=4 V=5

VI=6 VII=7 VIII=8 IX=9 X=10

Hope this answers your question.

LETSGOPENS2925 said...

It's Unrestricted Free Agent IV. I knew that IV means 4, I was just wondering what the whole thing means. Guess I should have been more specific, but thanks anyway.

Aubrey said...

Does the format seem to make any difference? I have had problems using the comment form that takes you to a new page, but the bottom-of-the-post or pop-up-window types always work.

As for the UFA IV, I think that means a Group 4 UFA, a player who has never signed a contract and has become a free agent because the team din't make a qualifying offer.

The CBA (which you can download from NHLPA.com as a .pdf) details all the free agent groups, but it confuses the hell out of me. I found this brief guide more helpful: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/00free.htm

LETSGOPENS2925 said...

Thanks for the link. I was just wondering because Lovejoy is a a UFA IV in July, and if they don't resign him, I'll be pretty pissed. The format for posting does seem to make a difference. If you don't mind, could you go to your settings and have the comments box come up in a pop-up window so I can check? Thanks!

Aubrey said...

I didn't realize Lovejoy was a UFA of any kind. They'd better keep him!

I switched to the pop-up comments. Hopefully that works.